A blog is a personal diary. A daily pulpit. A collaborative space. A political soapbox. A breaking-news outlet. A collection of links. Your own private thoughts. Memos to the world.

~Blogger~

Mar 31, 2007

Australians

Hi Reekie,

Hi, hi yourself! Lovely to meet you: we will have to chat on something other than race at some stage! lol: I do love having convos with ppl with such strong beliefs!

First I would like to say regarding your post: I was not arguing that Aboriginals were getting TOO much: I was just meaning I would prefer that benefits etc were given on the basises of need not race. I am not saying that all Aboriginals are lazy: I am saying regardless of race, there are always a few members of the race that are... I think people have taken my comment the wrong way slightly. I honestly feel that because you guys are given benefits simply because of race is unfair and is creating a divided society.

Secondly, I would like to commend you and your family. I think its excellent your family has achieved what it has. But it's like what I said in my comment: there are bad and good Aboriginals, just the way that there are bad and good Anglo Saxons (and in fact this goes for every race). And your family are part of the many "good ones" that share the Australian community!

Thirdly: I have something to say regarding your comments re: sexual abuse and boarding schools. My father went to boarding schools and was terribly abused, and then started to sexually abuse me, his daughter, his neice, and a friend of mine. So to say that only Aboriginal children were abused upsets me terribly. My father abused me (this is only what I believe personally, by the way), partly because of the way he was treated at boarding school, so my life has had direct impact because of boarding school abuse.

And I would like to say I don't assume anything! lol: I know for a fact that many aboriginals are hard working and decent, honest people. And I am far from a "country" kid. I spent most of my growing up years on the Sunshine Coast. lol...just to clear up any mis-understanding.

I am quite aware that the stolen generation occured. But my family had nothing to do with it, and it does annoy that certain corners of society seem to think that ALL whites supported it. Just as it annoys you to think that certain people seem to think that all Aboriginals are "lazy".

To end, I would like to say that I don't like saying black, Aboriginal, White, Anglo Saxon or in fact any words inter-related with the word "race". To me, quite personally there is no difference, and it annoys me that we have all these tags for the "types of people" when I believe that genetically there is no difference. It's only in people's minds. In fact I am amazed you guys aren't offended by the term "aboriginal" do you know what it means?

of or pertaining to members of the indigenous people of Australia; "an Aboriginal rite"
native: characteristic of or relating to people inhabiting a region from the beginning; "native Americans"; "the aboriginal peoples of Australia"
Aborigine: a dark-skinned member of a race of people living in Australia when Europeans arrived
having existed from the beginning; in an earliest or original stage or state; "aboriginal forests"; "primal eras before the appearance of life on earth"; "the forest primeval"; "primordial matter"; "primordial forms of life"
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

I don't know. Sometimes it feels to me that you guys are still being controlled by the "white" man: you even have accepted his term for you, despite the fact you have have made so much progress! And that makes me so sad...!!

Jo

1 comment:

Reekie said...

Hi,

because you are amy's friend I won't go to any extremes.

But, you simply don't know.

You can't know. I'm not saying I know everything about my culture etc, but it's people with views like yours that make 'black' people dislike 'whites'

okay thanks.

LFCA

Submit My News Click here to submit my news to the LFCA

A Cloud of Words

Wordle: Princessjo

Anniversary Countdown

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker