A blog is a personal diary. A daily pulpit. A collaborative space. A political soapbox. A breaking-news outlet. A collection of links. Your own private thoughts. Memos to the world.

~Blogger~

Mar 4, 2007

Hi everyone...

One of my friends is currently undergoing a doubting time in her faith: hang in there chicky!!

But here is her blog entry on the topic:

http://shutupicanthearthepantomime.blogspot.com/2007/03/keeping-faith.html#comments


But anyways, thats what started me on this whole train of thoughts on religion and all it encompasses. And also how religious that they can be....

Alrighty...my parents were very religious: bordering on obsessive like...Most likely due to this, I have regected many of my parents ideas: effectively creating Jo's Religion , a religion based on the "christian faith" but with my own personal beliefs thrown in for good measure. Atm, I firmly believe I have a good balance, and am very happy with where I am at. In saying that however I firmly believe, that my views are constantly evolving and growing and gaining strength. And I think that is a good thing.As Martin Buber once said: God made so many different kinds of people. Why would he allow only one way to serve him?

By far, I think religion is the most soul destroying thing in this world. Wars have been fought in it's name, children raped and killed in it's name and all sorts of torture have occured in it's name. I must stress however that I'm not trying to accuse the individuals of the religion, rather I am pointing the finger at the whole aspect of specifically organised religion. As this quote says: We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another. ~Jonathan Swift, Miscellanies, 1711

I think religion should be a matter of choice, as long as you don't hurt anyone. If you believe all creatures are holy and that you shouldn't kill them, thats fine...after all you aren't going out there and killing anybody. However if you are going out there and killing other people that are killing the animals...well that definately is not right. What I am saying is the world should have rules, but not rules dependant on religion. Instead they should focus on the health of the individual, instead of the power of the nation or faith.

But as much as i would like to see that happen I don't think it ever will. And thats the sad part: we are self centred really....

Jo

No comments:

LFCA

Submit My News Click here to submit my news to the LFCA

A Cloud of Words

Wordle: Princessjo

Anniversary Countdown

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker