A blog is a personal diary. A daily pulpit. A collaborative space. A political soapbox. A breaking-news outlet. A collection of links. Your own private thoughts. Memos to the world.

~Blogger~

Aug 12, 2007

Jo's Religion

Dear Everyone,

I'd like to say: we took the kids and had no problems. We had a very good time in fact!! Phew!!

But that is not the aim of this particular blog entry. Rather it is to discuss my current religious beliefs.

For the longest time, I was a strict Christian. But that all changed when I moved out of home. I started to evaluate my faith and I realised a few major problems I had with it.

1. I could not agree with the anti-homosexual stance of the Christian religion. For one thing it condemmed male homosexuality but overlooked female homosexuality. Additionally, why condem someone simply because they love someone (regardless of what gender that person may be)? Also, there are terrible things that occur in homosexuality as in hetrosexuality (eg rape etc) so why condem one when the other can be just as bad if not worse. I have also found that homosexuals are oftentimes more caring, honest human beings than their conservative, straight Christian counterparts.

2. I also could not agree with the condemming views the Christian religion had of other faiths. As long as a person's faith does not harm anyone or anything else why can't they believe it? Why does there just have to be one way? As the quote says, "God made so many different kinds of people. Why would he allow only one way to serve him? ~Martin Buber" (Thanks to the Quote Garden)

3. Furthermore, I find the patriarchal overtures in the Christian religion extremely difficult to agree with. Why can't women be equal to men and lead church services etc? Why can't they be more than homemakers and essentially baby makers? Why can't there be that freedom?

4. In addition I struggle with the "no sex before marriage" veiw many Christians take. What gives someone else the right to condem my personal life choices?

After thinking over these points and considering them, I decided to choose a different faith and find my "niche" so to speak. After great deal of research and consideration, I decided that in the end, I couldn't agree with ANY organised religion. So I made up my own kind of series of beliefs: or "Jo's Religion" as my friends call it. It abides by the following simple principles.

~ To accept and live in harmony with all beliefs providing they do not hurt anybody or anything.
~ All races and genders are equal: and are to be accepted and loved as such.
~ Sexuality is not to be an issue, as long as the helpless ones are not involved or hurt in any way (eg animals or children)

Additional to these 3 main principals, I have a few personal beliefs of my own:

~ There is an ultimate power, that created the world and everything in it; but as to how or who this power is, I cannot say, and do not wish to. I think ultimately, there should be still some mystery in this. This ultimate power however, shows that it exists in everything around: in the sunrise, in the sunset and in the cry of a baby. That is not to say however that the power is those things, rather it expresses itself through them.
~ That one should have the freedom to choose when they become sexually active and with whom. Of course this decision requires maturity and no pressure from the partner involved or from society. In much the same way marriage should not be seen as the "only way", rather commitment is to be valued and encouraged.

These of course, are just a few of my beliefs: they do not encompass my full range of beliefs. In fact, I must stress that my personal beliefs do not mean I condem others: just as long as they don't hurt anybody else. It's only what I believe and I encourage people to have their own series of beliefs. Additionally, I firmly believe that your beliefs should be flexible and be willing to change. It all comes back to that accepting principle.

That will do for today!
Jo

2 comments:

Tohou Lidia said...

hey jo!
Sorry i haven't been on your blog for a while! Coming from a similar background (in regards to christianity) i totally agree with you - especially point number one. That's actually why i started reevaluating what i beleived in. I couldn't agree with a religion that flat out condemns homosexuals as sinners. I mean - i really don't see it as a sin and i don't think i ever will!

Organised religion isn't something i want to become trapped in again but i find myself being drawn to believe in something. I even bought the Koran the other day. So i really support you in everything you are doing and who knows - maybe i'll join your religion one day ;)

Luv Amy

Tohou Lidia said...

hey jo!
Sorry i haven't been on your blog for a while! Coming from a similar background (in regards to christianity) i totally agree with you - especially point number one. That's actually why i started reevaluating what i beleived in. I couldn't agree with a religion that flat out condemns homosexuals as sinners. I mean - i really don't see it as a sin and i don't think i ever will!

Organised religion isn't something i want to become trapped in again but i find myself being drawn to believe in something. I even bought the Koran the other day. So i really support you in everything you are doing and who knows - maybe i'll join your religion one day ;)

Luv Amy

LFCA

Submit My News Click here to submit my news to the LFCA

A Cloud of Words

Wordle: Princessjo

Anniversary Countdown

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker