A blog is a personal diary. A daily pulpit. A collaborative space. A political soapbox. A breaking-news outlet. A collection of links. Your own private thoughts. Memos to the world.

~Blogger~

Feb 8, 2009

Well, What Next?

Well, of late my blog has not been very happy.

It's not getting any better.

128+ people have lost their lives in Victoria this past weekend. Due to a combination of heat & strong winds a number of bushfires have raged out of control. Some have been caused by arson: some by lightning strikes. 750+ homes have been destroyed.

And you know what is particularly frightening? Those figures are growing hourly. This is a disaster on a huge scale: in fact it is the worst Australian bushfire in recorded history by simply the human death toll.

It's an appalling event that shows the power of mother nature and the infallibility of human kind. But also it shows the strength of humanity to keep fighting: to never give up. And I think in all of this, that is a small something to remember and quietly celebrate.

And it's made me very thankful for our current precarious situation. It may be messy, but it is survivable. We will be able to find a way out. And we still have our possessions, our pets. There is always someone worse off than ourselves ;)


Jo

1 comment:

Lidia said...

Hey Jo! How are you?

I know - it's so horrible about the bush fires. I couldn't believe it when I came to work on Monday - I hadn't listened to the news all weekend and then i turn on the radio and hear more than 100 have died.. then they were saying today it could actually rise to 300...

But I think in times like this people really pull together and I think that's the small bit of ray of hope. There are appeals everywhere at the moment so it does give me a bit more faith in humanity ;-)

I hope you yourself are going alright!
Luv
Amy

LFCA

Submit My News Click here to submit my news to the LFCA

A Cloud of Words

Wordle: Princessjo

Anniversary Countdown

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker