A blog is a personal diary. A daily pulpit. A collaborative space. A political soapbox. A breaking-news outlet. A collection of links. Your own private thoughts. Memos to the world.

~Blogger~

May 29, 2009

My Holy Grail

Hi all,



Of late, I have been astounded by the number of people that I know that have fallen pregnant: I swear, it's a conspiracy. My next door neighbour gave birth just before I moved in: I still haven't been able to fully meet her: sure we say hi, whenever we meet but that's it. And the sad thing is that I know we could be friends: she is around my age, her husband works at the same place as my husband used to: a million and one different things that are similar: but she has the baby, and I don't. And that stops me: it hurts enough just walking past her house and seeing her through the window cuddling and playing with her little one, and all the baby things surrounding them. Her happiness alone makes me jealous: haven't I dealt with enough for a just the one small reward? Why her? And not me?


Babies have always been to me the Holy Grail. The ultimate, the one thing I would most before I die. A baby born of me, that is all mine, that I can raise how I want. I often joke that I was never really worried about the husband or the career: all I ever wanted were children: the husband part was highly negotiable, and pffft to the career.


Well, I got the husband. And no children. Or least any that you can talk about in polite society: any that a large part of society classes as children anyway. Or for that fact, no positive pregnancy tests. For me it's always too late: my body is either playing tricks (which for it, sounds about right 90% of the time), or has shut down to make it all go away. Either way, here I am still waiting.


And I don't know how much longer I will be waiting. I've decided to postpone the pushing on doors, finding out what's wrong. I have my own suspicions, and what we know from past tests etc. But right now, the timing is all wrong. Financially, we are in one hell of a mess, and my head space isn't too good right now. Our marriage is under pressure: from both in and out: under seige, I guess you could say. We are working on it, fighting for it. It's survived everything else, no reason it won't survive now. But it's not a place I would go out intentionally to bring a child into (via medical treatments etc).


That's not to say I am giving up on the dream. I wouldn't refuse a child if the miracle was to happen on its own either. We would deal with all the crap and make it the best world it could possibly be for a child of ours. But still, I want to be in the best place I can be in for our child (particularly emotional health-wise). And I am not there yet. I want to be, but right now, I am not.


It means a huge reorientation to my world outlook. For a start, I am trying my best to not see the spare room as a future baby nursery (and therefore have decorating fantasies about aforesaid room), but instead as an office/spare room. But there are constant reminders, everywhere. Particularly people, with their questions and jokes about babies now that we are married. They hurt too: particularly when I turn around and tell them and all they say is "oh well it will happen one day: you're still young: why are you even worried to start with?". It stings. It feels like a slap in the face. Yes, it might happen, but it might require complicated, expensive medical treatments: and if I am having problems now, when I am supposed to be the most fertile, indeed, the most capable, of falling pregnant, it obviously won't bode well for me later... Add in my Crohn's Disease, and the future possiblities with that, and I don't know what I am looking at.


Love,

Jo

4 comments:

Lidia said...

Hey princess Jo :-)

I think that everything happens for a reason and I believe if you want something hard enough, it will happen. I think you should definitely be friends with this neighbour of yours - maybe you could help her with her baby? I know it must be hard watching her but I find the best way to overcome jealousy is to hit it right on the head... maybe she might be able to help you with your worries and everything??? Sorry if this is the wrong advice, it's hard for me to give it when I know I'm not in your situation :-( But I guess instead of advice I can offer my support and love :-) Know that we're all here for you :-)

Luv
Amy

Finbarpurpleton said...

Hey Jo,

I hope you get your wish one day! Like Amy says everything happens for a reason. Things will get better. I'm not sure which advice to give because I too am not really in the same situation.

Melissa :)

Aunt Becky said...

Oh Jo, I want to cry. I'm so sorry. I wish I had something good or profound to say but you know me, I don't roll that way.

Love you, and hang in there.

Anonymous said...

Hey Princess!

Don't be so hard on yourself. My advice would be to throw away the calendar and pregnancy tests.

You want to wait before pushing those doors... Do you feel able to share the reasons why? Maybe someone, somewhere out here can help....

Take care,

LFCA

Submit My News Click here to submit my news to the LFCA

A Cloud of Words

Wordle: Princessjo

Anniversary Countdown

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker