A blog is a personal diary. A daily pulpit. A collaborative space. A political soapbox. A breaking-news outlet. A collection of links. Your own private thoughts. Memos to the world.

~Blogger~

Jun 16, 2009

In Reply.

In reply to Tracey Spicer's Editorial

Dear Tracey,

These cases anger me greatly. I was left behind by the department as well. But I am one of the lucky ones. I am still alive. But that does not mean the department's choices don't impact me still, 6 years later. You try living with a monster, a serial pedophile for 3 years after reporting him. It's crazy. It's not fair. And above all, it's not right.

As I read the above comments I get the feeling that people think that abuse only happens in the lower echlons of society. Not true. My family (at least from the outside) appeared like a middle class, stable, albeit super conservative, good Christian family. No one did drugs, drank alcohol nor any of the things that the commenters above seem to think are risk factors for abuse.

Inside of course, my family was just as dysfunctional (if not more) than those families that you are portraying as the "bad ones".

And why was I left? According to my FOI (freedom of information) documents the following factors contributed to the decision DOCS made:
  • Workload pressures
  • Lack of understanding around childhood sexual abuse
  • Believing the testimony of the adult abuser as compared with the testimony of the children
  • The inexperience of Child Safety Officers in relation to interviewing children whom have been sexually abused.
  • Confusion over conclusive and evidentiary material versus identification of risk and harm.
  • Does this not paint a picture of a high level of problems with the system that is supposed to protect victims? I can't even start to discuss in depth the horrific way my case was handled.

    And now, I am suing. For the other victims whom have no voice. For those victims you listed Tracey, and the hundreds still out there. Victims that need someone to fight for some final, albeit hollow justice. I will do my best for them. It is the least I can do.

    No comments:

    LFCA

    Submit My News Click here to submit my news to the LFCA

    A Cloud of Words

    Wordle: Princessjo

    Anniversary Countdown

    Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker