A blog is a personal diary. A daily pulpit. A collaborative space. A political soapbox. A breaking-news outlet. A collection of links. Your own private thoughts. Memos to the world.

~Blogger~

Jan 17, 2010

The Love of a Fellow Human Being

Let me tell you that there is nothing in this world like the love of a fellow human being.

I have been loved: oh, yes I have. By many in all variations but all leave a whisper of a fingerprint upon my heart.

My husband has been one of those. Our relationship is far from perfect, I will be the first admit that. He makes me angry, makes me cry: but then equally, he makes me feel whole and safe and happy.

Today, it will be our 1st wedding anniversary, and nearing 4 years since we met. The time hasn't been always happy; god only knows, we have had to battle our way through any number of issues created at times, by ourselves, and at others, by other people. But we always manage to stick to the commitment we made to each other when we first began dating.

I am one of those people that love just as passionately as they hate: our relationship has certainly spanned all of those emotions and more. But yet, it strong, and recovers from blows that would, indeed, have destroyed other relationships.

People often have lists for their perfect relationship, their perfect man. I never have. And yet, I have found myself a man whom does (and I hate to admit it) complement and balance my insanity (literally at times), my wild passions and unique personality. I have met many people that cannot handle those facets of my personality and my ever-increasing baggage. But he does.

I am not saying he is perfect: he is not. But this just a recognition that, yes, we both do a lot of work for our relationship. And honey, it is worth all the work.

Wasn't marriage, like life, unstimulating and unprofitable and somewhat empty when too well ordered and protected and guarded?  Wasn't it finer, more splendid, more nourishing, when it was, like life itself, a mixture of the sordid and the magnificent; of mud and stars; of earth and flowers; of love and hate and laughter and tears and ugliness and beauty and hurt? 
~Edna Ferber, Show Boat, 1926

Jo

PS: And yes, we did go to church and have a 6 year old present today. It was a strange way to celebrate our day, but it was unique, and therefore, very us. :-)

2 comments:

Laura said...

Congratulations on the anniversary!

I used to have a list, but I threw it out when I stopped being so religious. "Bob" fulfilled most of the items on my first list, whereas Steve fulfills only a few. But I am uber happy with Steve, and well, we know how it turned out with Bob! :)

Hillary@QuiveringDaughters said...

Congratulations on your anniversary!! I hope your day was beautiful.

LFCA

Submit My News Click here to submit my news to the LFCA

A Cloud of Words

Wordle: Princessjo

Anniversary Countdown

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker