A blog is a personal diary. A daily pulpit. A collaborative space. A political soapbox. A breaking-news outlet. A collection of links. Your own private thoughts. Memos to the world.

~Blogger~

Feb 11, 2010

Internet Boundaries and Monetizing...

As you may, or may not know, I follow (meaning sit in mute astonishment most of the time) Under $1000 Per Month, a blog that is supposed to be about frugal living but sadly is more often a documentation on 'what not to do'. She does make money from it, but at what cost? 


Many people have have set up parodies of her site from Under 1000 Braincells and the recent post on Baby Rabies. All share concerns about her lifestyle and how it could be affecting her children (along with a great deal of snark). Emily's response? "Why are you questioning me"? According to her, she is doing nothing wrong. 


Which leads to the question: how much is too much information to put on the internet? Emily chooses to post names, photos of both her family and her home, and details of their everyday lives, right down to menu plans.


Many of those things in isolation are fine, but in her case she is posting them on a very public blog, that has become to be seen as quite controversial. She is risking a great many things (including further endangering her children), and for what? To share her belief system or lifestyle choices? To make money? 


Most people commend my blog for it's openness: and whilst that may be true, I am very careful about how much information I put out there, particularly as my blog becomes more widely known and read. Back in the beginning I wasn't, but then it was just me and some friends whom actually knew me in real life. You would be surprised at just how much information I hold back now. 


And sorry internet people, you probably won't ever get a weekly menu plan from me: I am a look in the fridge half an hour before type girl! You won't get my weekly shopping lists either, nor the in depth details of my budget? Odd, huh!

As for her obsession with monetizing her blog? I find it really off putting, and well, annoying. If you must, put up a few ads, but don't plaster your site with them. It is a very bad, desperate look.

I have chosen not to monetize my blog because it isn't really my thing:  I haven't got the energy to maintain/create a larger blogging audience the way Emily does. Not only that, but there isn't an advertisement program out there that I like enough to use.


Jo









2 comments:

Susan said...

Jo, I have read your blog from time to time. And I have enjoyed it.
I do agree with you about some of what Emily does on her blog. But that is why I read it. She reminds me of me at her age. Older, and not much wiser now, it was she who spurred me to write my own blog 'Potpourri' and come out about my mental illness.
My blog is cathartic and in the just over a month I have been blogging I have begun to feel much better.
I have monetized my blog as part of my work on my self-esteem. I lost my job five years ago. I have yet to make a dime. I keep hoping.
I am going to check out those parody sites, I like a good snark as the next person.

Jennifer said...

I know what you mean about holding a lot of info back. My facebook is very closed up, though I do let people into my world more on there. As for my blogs - the health one has pseudonyms for people in our lives, and pictures or posts that give away where we are end up password protected. The family blog that I do is completely invite only and has only a couple of readers because it's only available to those I invite as it has a lot of pictures of personal life stuff. We even have family members who will never see that blog.
Also, I hope this comment makes sense ... I'll probably comment more later. I've had migraines coming and going a lot the last couple of days so who knows how my brain is working... or if it is. :P

LFCA

Submit My News Click here to submit my news to the LFCA

A Cloud of Words

Wordle: Princessjo

Anniversary Countdown

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker