A blog is a personal diary. A daily pulpit. A collaborative space. A political soapbox. A breaking-news outlet. A collection of links. Your own private thoughts. Memos to the world.

~Blogger~

Aug 1, 2010

It's not fair....

It's not fair. 

I have said those words time and time again. They have been my faithful companions through life. It isn't fair that my life is shambles, my health is appalling, and that so many things have happened outside of my control. I could individually list them all, but the list is fair too long for this entry.

I think it is ok to admit when life is unfair, that all these things should not be happening to you again.  Sometimes in people's rush for the perfect life, the unfairness of the world is overlooked, or seen as unavoidable, and thus excusable somehow.

It isn't. 

It isn't excusable that women my age around the world do not have access to birth control, and the risk of them dying in childbirth is far, far higher.

It isn't excusable that children are being left in abusive homes and environments.

It isn't excusable that children will die because of preventable causes while you read this.

It's not fair. 


No it isn't. It never is, whether it is happening in my life, in yours, or someone elses. And we should acknowledge it all: not just the big stuff. Acknowledge, and then try to move on and fix it. And if it is unfixable, acknowledge that not everything is able to be fixed, and it is ok to hurt, and struggle with it.

Jo

2 comments:

Jo said...

I love this post.

This is something I struggle with all the time. Sometimes screaming "It's not fair!!!!" feels so childish and futile. But I truly rage against the unfairness of my husband's issues, our marital problems, our infertility, and our losses.

I'm not sure where we get the idea that life SHOULD be, or ever is, fair. Perhaps because we are taught that by our parents and teachers in toddlerhood. I don't know. But it seems like a universal concept, that things in life should be fair. Bad things shouldn't happen to good people, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I'm really working hard to embrace the unfairness of our situation, to deal with it, and to try to make the best of it. Some days I do okay with it, others I don't. It's a process.

Hugs,
Jo

Angel Renee said...

It's really not fair. But thanks to that, there is such a thing as victory.

LFCA

Submit My News Click here to submit my news to the LFCA

A Cloud of Words

Wordle: Princessjo

Anniversary Countdown

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker